If Groundhog Day, Memento, Breaking Bad and a large segment of the horror films released in the last decade were to somehow procreate, the resulting love/WTF child would be the awesomely bizarre, witty and twisted film Blood Punch. With strong psychological thriller, romance, horror and comedy elements all playing well together the unique outcome is really quite fun. This film does not fit into a single descriptive box and I think that’s honestly what I enjoyed about it most. It’s an undefinable potpourri. Blood Punch kept me engaged with both its predictable camp and its completely unpredictable mindfuckery. The high production value impresses (its polished and professional looking with a freakin’ fantastic soundtrack to boot) and the incredibly amusing cast delivers spot on performances, clearly enjoying not taking themselves/their characters too seriously. There is a lovely sarcastic, charming, modern and also timeless tone to this piece for sure. The clever plot, well written script and very well executed filming/editing, I think guarantees it a space as a popular darling of the festival. Even after seeing the screener and plot spoilers, I really think seeing this again with an audience would add an extra layer of entertainment to a viewing. A highly recommended 4 1/2 out of 5 jewels in the review tiara for Blood Punch which has three screenings as part of the Cinequest Film Festival March 4th-16th.
New to the Kingdom
- RT @NUMULosGatos: #objectoftheweek : This collection of coins was unearthed from a historic site in the Los Gatos hills. They will... https… 18 hours ago
- RT @ImprovSanJose: COMP TIX STARTS TONIGHT & THRU THE WEEKEND: Limited to 20 per show! Hurry to sanjose.improv.com & use promo code CF… 18 hours ago
- RT @PoetryCenterSJ: Poets@Play at Markham House, free creative writing workshop, June 11 2-5pm. Theme: LGBT rights #408Creates #SanJose htt… 18 hours ago
- It’s time for ‘Pear Slices 2017’ May 7, 2017 A Good Reed Review
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- California's Great America introduces Red, White & Brews May 25, 2017 Joshua Santos
- Cirque du Soleil’s new show ‘Luzia’ heads to Denver, Colorado (Video) May 25, 2017 Monica Turner
- Join ThinkbiggerSanJose for Jane’s Walk 2017 April 25, 2017 ThinkBiggerSJ
Inside These Castle Walls
Words, Words, Wordsarts artsalot artsalot review artsopolis Broadway San Jose broadway san jose review Bus barn stage company California Theatre Center cinequest cinequest 25 Cinequest 2014 cinequest 2015 Cinequest Film Festival cinequest reviews city lights city lights theatre City Lights theatre Company cq2014 discover the unexpected Douglas Morrisson Theatre Downtown San Jose Expect the Unexpected guitar Hayward Theatre Hayward Theatre Review Hillbarn Theatre Hillbarn Theatre REview music Palo Alto Players Palo Alto Players REview PA Players Performing arts Princess Princess Artsalot Princess of Artsalot Princess of Artsopolis princess pick Princess Susannah Princess Susannah Review Renegade Theatre Experiment review RTE san jose san jose arts San Jose California San Jose Center for the Performing Arts San Jose film Festival San Jose Film Reviews San Jose Rep San Jose Repertory Theatre San JOse Rep review san jose stage San Jose Stage Review San Jose Theater San Jose Theater Review san jose theatre San Jose Theatre Review san Pedro square Silicon Valley silicon valley arts Silicon Valley Performing Arts Silicon Valley Theatre Silicon Valley Theatre Review south bay guitar society Susannah Greenwood Tabard Theatre Company Theater in San JOse theatre theatre in San Jose theatre on san pedro square Theatre Review the stage Wave Awards What to do in San Jose What to see in San Jose